Sunday 13 July 2014

4. How do you think your prelim experiences will impact on your approach to next term's music video coursework?

I think that this experience will benefit me hugely when completing next term's music video.

I would now feel comfortable playing a main role in front of the camera if necessary. Whereas, before the prelim task, I felt daunted by the idea of performing in front of a camera at all (let alone as a main role!). I also feel that I know much more about how to perform in front of a camera because I initially thought that performing in front of a camera was the same as performing on stage. However, through performing in the prelim video, I have come to realise that the performance needs to be exaggerated in front of a camera.

The prelim task has also helped me understand exactly how to run a professional music video shoot. There are several components needed for a music video shoot to run smoothly which I have noted down for our actual music videos. I now realise that a lot of hard work and planning goes into a music video shoot and I will definitely take that into account when planning the A2 music videos.

After shadowing those controlling the camera, I now understand how to move a camera efficiently around a music video shoot. I also now know how to check the framing of a shoot is exactly as it needs to be. I also shadowed the lighting team and have learnt how to experiment with colours to create different moods to suit different scenes. These skills will definitely come in handy when filming my A2 music video.

The editing process taught me a lot of new skills which I will utilise during the A2 project. For example, I learnt how to experiment with contrast and brightness to create more aesthetically pleasing footage. I also learnt how to sync audio which will be extremely useful when editing my A2 footage as it will make the editing process much faster and more efficient. I also learnt that you should watch through every take of each shot to ensure that you find the best footage rather than just going for the first/last take.


I learnt how to manually add in 'flashes'. This could potentially come in handy during our A2 music video edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment